Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Love Month


I'm into the 2nd month of my newly created yearly teaching schedule and its been GREAT! So, what would any good youth pastor talk about in the month of February? LOVE of course! But, we've taken it from a different angle. We've already discussed the love of God in messages leading up to this year. God's love for us is important and we've covered that leading up to Feb. This month, we've covered love from a different perspective. A traditional topic in a slight untraditional way.

Week 1 - We talked about loving God. But how do we love God? We always hear "Love God" - Jesus said it was one of the most important things. BUT HOW? Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments." That was a fun message and we had 10 people answer the altar call on that one. It was INCREDIBLE!

Week 2 - "Love U" Do you love...you? The Bible says that we should "love our neighbors as ourselves." In fact Jesus said its the OTHER most important thing we should do. But what if we don't love ourselves? How can we love others if we don't love ourselves? So we took the issue of loving ourselves and spoke to it. We spoke about the things that cause us to love ourselves less and limit our views of self. Then we looked at what scripture had to say about it. WOW!! I've NEVER seen our group take THAT many notes during one of my talks.

Week 3 - "What About Them?" Now that we've covered loving ourselves, NOW we can talk about loving others. But not just talking about loving them, but ACTUALLY showing how we can love others and putting some feet to what we do about it. I'm looking forward to this one.

Week 4 - "Tattoo" Jesus said that they will know us by the love we have for one another. Love is our defining mark. Love is our TATTOO. To illustrate the point, I'm trying to find a temporary tattoo to cover my entire arm. I would preach while getting a real tattoo, but I can't think of anything I would want for the rest of my life.

That's our February. Thought I'd share.

Leaders, what are YOU teaching about this year?

No comments: